Friday 27 May 2011

First week in

Hey everyone,

Almost finished the first week of editing the new novel. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to restructure the first thirty or so pages, but this has happened before. I stopped counting how many times it happened with "Gasher Creek." This is a common problem with writers who "shoot from the hip" with their first drafts. I don't outline, so as a result I sometimes run into plot problems during the editing process.

I've tried outlining, but it doesn't work for me. Part of the fun of a first draft is to go on the adventure with the characters. If you knew every plot point of a movie in advance, would you want to go see it? Probably not. I'll take the fun of a first draft over a smooth edit any day. After all, every writer essentially writes for an audience of one. If I can't have fun, why bother? It ain't for the money!